Friday, September 2, 2011

R.I.P. VI Challenge

*This is a cross post between Castle Macabre*


It's time for my favorite reading challenge of the year...the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI, hosted by Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings.  Here are the challenge details (condensed version) as laid out by Carl:

The purpose of the R.I.P. Challenge is to enjoy books that could be classified as:
Mystery.
Suspense. 
Thriller. 
Dark Fantasy. 
Gothic.Horror.
Supernatural.

The emphasis is never on the word challenge, instead it is about coming together as a community and embracing the autumnal mood, whether the weather is cooperative where you live or not.

There are two simple goals for the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VI Challenge:

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.


R.I.P. VI officially runs from September 1st through October 31st.

There are multiple levels of participation (Perils) that allow you to be a part of R.I.P. VI....  Multiple perils await you. You can participate in just one, or participate in them all.


Peril the First: Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (my very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature.
Peril the Second: Read two books of any length that you believe fit within the challenge categories.
Peril the Third: We all want you to participate. This Peril involves reading one book that fits within the R.I.P. definition.
Peril of the Short Story: I am a big fan of short stories and my desire for them is perhaps no greater than in autumn. I see Poe and Lovecraft in my future for sure. You can read short stories any time during the challenge.
Peril on the Screen: This is for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows, or your favorite film. 
Peril of the Group Read: This Peril is new for this year. I’ve recently discovered the joys of group reading and I posted about three group reads that I am hosting during this year’s R.I.P. Challenge. If you feel so inclined please join us in one (or more) of the planned group reads, information is located here.

For full, non-condensed details and to sign up, visit the post HERE.  Also, Carl asks that we post any reviews, including books, short stories, film/television viewed, at the R.I.P. VI Review Site.

Now...here are the perils I'm planning on doing:
I have a lot of scary reading to do in the next two months, largely due to starting this blog so the requirement is 4 books, but I may end up reading more:
Dust by Joan Frances Turner
Decayed Etchings by Brandon Ford
Danny Marble & the Application for Non-Scary Things by Jessica McHugh
American Horror edited by Scott Nicholson
will probably add more...
Stories from My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me edited by Kate Bernheimer possibly others...

Oh, I'm a big watcher of horror films!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated!