Wednesday, August 29, 2012

R.I.P. VII...It's scary time again!


It's that time again! The incomparable Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings is once again hosting the most excellent R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril.  This is version VII and I'm telling you, I look forward to this every year.  The challenge dates are officially September 1st through October 31st, but Carl says, "Let's start today!"  Yes...let's!!!

Here are a few guidelines as told by Carl:

Books and movies/television that could be classified as:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.


There are two simple goals for R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VII

1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.

As I do each and every year, there are multiple levels of participation (Perils) that allow you to be a part of R.I.P. VII without adding the burden of another commitment to your already busy lives. There is even a one book only option for those who feel that this sort of reading is not their cup of tea (or who have many other commitments) but want to participate all the same.

Multiple perils await you. You can participate in just one, or participate in them all.  To read full details on all of the perils available, visit the info and sign-up POST HERE.

********

My plans:
I've got big stuff going on in the scary category this Fall so choosing my Perils will not be difficult.  I'm hosting the EPIC Dark Tower Read-a-Long (Stephen King's entire Dark Tower series) from September through next July at my Stephen King Challenge blog.  We are reading Book One in September and Book Two in October.  We are reading The Passage by Justin Cronin as our Fall scary read for TuesBookTalk Read-a-Longs.  I'm participating in the It-along (a read-a-long of It by Stephen King) in September through October.  I'm also hosting my FrightFall Read-a-Thon the first week in October that focuses on the scary and my October event at my horror blog, Castle Macabre, Season of the Witch during which I will focus on reading everything witchy.  Movies...no problem...as horror is my favorite movie genre and I love the scary on TV as well.  I'm going to see "The Possession" this weekend so there's one film under my belt already! 

So, my Perils are:


Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.

It by Stephen King
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King
The Passage by Justin Cronin

Pick and Choose list:
Witches--
A Mirror for Witches by Esther Forbes
The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
The Last Witchfinder by James K. Morrow
The Witch's Trinity by Erika Mailman
The Witching Time by Jean Stubbs
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
Daughters of the Witching Hill by Mary Sharratt

and whatever else might strike my fancy!


This is for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like "Dark Shadows" or "Midsomer Murders", or your favorite film. If you are so inclined, please post links to any R.I.P.-related viewing you do on to the Review Site as well.

Films:
The Possession

TV:
Supernatural
Vampire Diaries
Elementary (new series)
Dexter

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Your plans sound wonderful! You've got quite a lot on your plate and I'm so glad that R.I.P. works out with your plans, thank you for joining in. I just signed up for your Frightful Fall event. I mean how could I not, the banner is fantastic! I wish you all the best with everything you are hosting and participating in and thank you so very much for including R.I.P. in your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like you are more than ready for RIP!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I've been hearing a lot of good things about Justin Cronin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were do anymore challenges this year, I would sign up for this one, but my hands are full as it is. I do plan on reading lots of scary stuff, but don't want to box myself in and not finish.

    Next year I'm thinking of rereading Dracula and Frankenstein. Plus I'm thinking I want to read The Strange Case of Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde and The Invisible Man. I want a classic horror month I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you know Ryan, this isn't really a 'challenge', and there is a 'one book only' option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stack! I'm reading It for the It along too. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are much appreciated!